Compliance with Alcohol
Are you compliant?
Serving alcohol in general follows a lot of strict rules. Below is a list of guidelines that breweries must follow to be compliant in NC.
- Zero tolerance policy on serving to minors-meaning there is zero defense to this criminal violation.
- Do not serve intoxicated persons.
- Any pouring location is a “point of sale” and is subject to all NC ABC/ALE regulations.
- Servers are required to ask for identification if they have suspicion of someone’s age.
NC Drivers’ Licenses:
- Underage for tobacco and alcohol
- Vertical license
- Legal for tobacco, but not alcohol
- Patron may be 21 years old, so make sure to look at the birth date
- Can be vertical or horizontal license
- Legal for tobacco and alcohol
- Horizontal license
Other forms of identification are: U.S. Military ID, NC ID Card, and/or Official Passport
**You still need to check a person’s identification if IDs are checked at the entrance gate of a festival/event.
**Wrist-bands are NOT considered a form of identification.
Right to Refuse:
- Employees can refuse to sell alcoholic beverages to any person.
- Employees can refuse to sell alcohol to an adult if they suspect the adult is buying for minors.
- There is no legal recourse by a customer who has been refused a sale.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email me at email@example.com or call 919-335-5291.
Contact the NC ABC Commission
400 East Tryon Road
Raleigh, NC 27610