Compliance with Alcohol

Part 5 of our Festival blog series. Check out Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and Part 4

Are you compliant?

Hopefully, yes. If not, hopefully these rules can help you.

Serving alcohol in general follows a lot of strict rules. Below is a list of guidelines that breweries must follow to be compliant in NC.

  • Zero tolerance policy on serving to minors-meaning there is zero defense to this criminal violation.
  • Do not serve intoxicated persons.
  • Any pouring location is a “point of sale” and is subject to all NC ABC/ALE regulations.
  • Servers are required to ask for identification if they have suspicion of someone’s age.

NC Drivers’ Licenses:

Red Border

  • Underage for tobacco and alcohol
  • Vertical license

Yellow Border

  • Legal for tobacco, but not alcohol
  • Patron may be 21 years old, so make sure to look at the birth date
  • Can be vertical or horizontal license

Green Border

  • Legal for tobacco and alcohol
  • Horizontal license

Other forms of identification are: U.S. Military ID, NC ID Card, and/or Official Passport

**You still need to check a person’s identification if IDs are checked at the entrance gate of a festival/event.

**Wrist-bands are NOT considered a form of identification.

Right to Refuse:

  • Employees can refuse to sell alcoholic beverages to any person.
  • Employees can refuse to sell alcohol to an adult if they suspect the adult is buying for minors.
  • There is no legal recourse by a customer who has been refused a sale.

The information for this blog post can be found on the NC ABC website, Beer Festival Guidelines, and ABC Quick Guide

Contact us!

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email me at or call 919-335-5291.

Be sure to check out Beer Law Center and Matheson Law Office for all things NC legal.

Contact the NC ABC Commission

400 East Tryon Road

Raleigh, NC 27610